This Month At UUCWC: Celebrate Life, Create Community and Change the World
Each month, UUCWC celebrates a theme with opportunities for you to deepen your connection within, among and beyond our community.
December’s theme is Mystery. Let’s let mystery work its magic. Let’s allow ourselves to fall in and be opened up. Here are some ways to become a part of something larger this month.
Discover more about UUCWC’s Worship Services through the holidays here.
If you are looking for deepening within, as you Celebrate Life
- Lectio Divina (Reading Poems Prayerfully), every Thursday, 12:30-1pm online**. NO Lectio session on Dec. 30th.
- Pathways concludes on December 11th, 7:30-9pm. Congratulations to all who completed this 4-part exploration of UUism, UUCWC and what it means to be a member of this community. Interested in joining Rev. Kim next time? Contact Robin Pugh at email@example.com.
- Breathe: The World Needs You Whole, December 14 at 11am in person or 7:30pm online**. Ministerial intern Lisa Schilansky leads this monthly drop-in to take a pause and feel grounded amid the justice (and other) work you are doing with the church and beyond.
- Racial Justice Book Discussion, Part 2, December 19th, for those who participated in the first session in November, discussion continues on White Women: Everything You Already Know about Your Own Racism and How to Do Better by Regina Jackson and Saira Rao, 7pm multiplatform. Contact Pam Shadzik (or the office) to register for online link.
- Worship Services during the holidays:
- The Dark of the Moon, December 20th, special evening multiplatform service at 8pm. As the Winter Solstice approaches, we take time amidst the rush, expectation, and forceful joy of this month to notice the dark, the complexity of this time, the grief and the gratitude.
- Nativity Pageant, December 24th at 10am service. Come join us for a participatory nativity pageant during our family Christmas service!
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, December 24, 8pm. Our annual candlelit service, where the ancient story will be told once again, for today’s world and wisdom, with music by our talented choir and special musicians.
- Annual Generations Service, December 31st at 10am. Various generations representing different decades in age reflect on a work of art that moves or influences them, provides insight, comfort or joy. Thanks to Scott Cullen for once again giving us this moving and inspiring service!
- Chalice Circles, Various dates and times, in-person or online options. Small group reflections on the monthly theme. Email Robin Pugh at firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
If you are looking for opportunities among others, as you Create Community
- Holiday Plant Sale, December 3, after the service; support UUCWC and enjoy beautiful poinsettias.
- Ask Me Table, December 3rd, after the service. Learn how to get connected with committees and ministries, opportunities to be of service, how to feel more nourished in congregational life and more. Contact Congregational Engagement at email@example.com
- Crossing Chorale, in-person rehearsals on Sundays at 11:30am. Sing at our candlelight service on 12/24 at 8PM. Rehearsals on 12/3 and 12/10. Ability to read music is not a requirement! Email Erin Busch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Science Circle: Science, Technology and Our Future, December 5th at 7pm, multiplatform**. Discuss recent scientific and technological discoveries and how they impact our self-understanding and rapidly changing future.
- Bake Sale, December 10th after the service. Be a contributing baker or buy goodies to support UUCWC. Hungry? Preorder here!
- Super Sunday for Children’s Faith Engagement, December 10th. An opportunity for children and youth to socialize with one another across the age ranges with guided activities; this month our youth lead the activity!
- Outdoor Adventures Hike at Washington Crossing Park, December 10 at 11:45am at the Visitors Center Parking Lot on the NJ side; hike to see the rehearsal of the reenactment of the crossing of the river. Email OutdoorAdventures@uucwc.org if you plan to attend..
- Socratic Group, December 12th, 1pm, in-person. Begun as part of ROMEOs but now open to everyone, this group discusses a philosophical, ethical, or cultural/political question chosen at the time by those attending.
- Holiday Jazz Concert by the South Philly Big Band, December 17th at 12 noon. Join us for a concert of Holiday favorites and jazz standards; all ages welcome! Tickets $15.
- ROMEOs (Retired Old Men Eating Out) Luncheon, December 19th at 12pm at the Pineville Tavern. Details on location and RSVP info are in the Weekly Announcements. For more info, contact email@example.com.
- JULIETs (Just Us Ladies Into Eating and Talking) Luncheon, a lunch gathering for all cis* or trans* women in a space that centers women’s experiences, is on hiatus for December. Look for a gathering in the new year.
- Tending the Flame, December 19th, 7:30pm. Parents and caregivers are invited to drop in for a 1-hour time of facilitated connection, support and sharing. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday Night Sing-A-Long, every week with a different theme at 8pm on Zoom**. The Weekly Announcement email has details.
- CLUUSTERS Biking Group, for those who enjoy a two-wheeled way to be in good company. To learn more, contact Michael Howe-Smith/the office at email@example.com.
- 80’s Group for those in their 80s and beyond to connect online or in person. Contact Robin Pugh for details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are seeking ways in and beyond our walls to Change the World
- Used Book Sale, December 3rd after services.Proceeds from Earth & Climate Ministry’s sale of gently used books support “green” projects at UUCWC. Earth Ministry will also have Garden Harvesting of Carrots with UUCWC children (as weather permits).
- NJ Reparations Council Public Hearing Watch Party: December 4 at 6:30pm in room 203. The topic for this second hearing will be the impact of segregation in NJ. Ordering pizza, so please RSVP by December 3 to Regina Zilinski (email in directory)!
- Food Ministry Chili Fundraiser, December 17th following the service. Grab a cup of chili and a corn muffin for $5 before the Holiday Jazz Concert. Net proceeds benefit the Interfaith Food Alliance, a coalition of faith based communities in Bucks County who seek to alleviate food insecurity through advocacy, service and education.
- HomeFront Mitten Tree. Through Sunday, 12/17, donate new hats, gloves, mittens, and socks, for children ages 5-16 attending our weekly tutoring program.
- Turkeys For TASK (Trenton Area Soup Kitchen) Collection continues through December. Many supermarkets give away free frozen turkeys to frequent shoppers. UUCWC will collect donations (free or purchased) for TASK. Learn more here.
- Become an ESL tutor, Ongoing, Wednesday evenings, 6:30-8pm, in Hightstown, NJ. Contact FAM@uucwc.org for details.
- Help three generations of a Syrian family, Ongoing opportunity. Help this family improve their spoken English through micro-mini homestays or by becoming an online English Conversation partner. Contact FAM@uucwc.org for details.
- Make snack bags for HomeFront children and youth with the Food Ministry at coffee hour. Watch for a date and more info in the weekly email or contact email@example.com.
**Check your Weekly Announcements for the link information or contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.