What We Believe
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
- Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.
UUCWC Mission Statement
Inspired by our Principles and Purposes, members of the Unitarian Universalist Church at Washington Crossing unite to create a welcoming, caring religious community. Within this community, we encourage and affirm the individual’s quest for authenticity, wisdom and spiritual deepening. We gather to celebrate the wonder of the cosmos and the mystery of life, its passages, its joys and sorrows. Compelled by justice, we give voice to societal concerns and reach out to touch the lives of others.
Aware of our profound potential to affect the individual and global community, we commit our personal resources to each other and our shared sacred mission.
UUCWC Vision Statement
UUCWC will be an inclusive faith community focusing our energy and resources on spiritual deepening thereby challenging us to become a dynamic and recognized force in our community(s).
Covenant of Right Relations
Because of our uniqueness and our diversity, we sometimes fall short of peacefully resolving our misunderstandings and difficulties. I am mindful, that as an individual and as a member of this community, I am accountable for my words, deeds, and behavior. Therefore, whenever we worship, work, or relate to one another, I covenant that I will:
- Acknowledge all with kindness and care, dignity and respect
- Foster an environment of compassion, generosity, fellowship, and creativity
- Share in the responsibilities of congregational life
- Speak truth as I experience it and earnestly and humbly listen to all points of view
- Act with respect and humility when I disagree with others
- Acknowledge my uncertainty when I recognize it
- Seek out understanding and wisdom in the presence of conflict
- Be true to my chosen path although the way may twist and turn, and support others on their journeys
- Resolve conflicts through intentional compromise and collaboration and, when necessary, request facilitation and/or mediation
- Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations
- Central East Region
- UU District of Metro New York
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
- Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office
- Church of the Larger Fellowship
- Unitarian Universalist Women’s Federation
- International Convocation of Unitarian Universalist Women
- Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism
- Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth
- Diverse & Revolutionary Unitarian Universalist Multicultural Ministries
- Unitarian Universalists for a Just Economic Community
- Unitarian Universalist FaithAction NJ (formerly the UU Legislative Ministry of New Jersey)
- Unitarian Universalist Pennsylvania Legislative Advocacy Network
- Building One New Jersey