Save the Date!
Racial Justice Ministry (RJM) Discussion Forum – January 11, 2022 7pm
Join the meeting on January 11th at 7pm here.
RJM is offering an online discussion of two resources RJM members recently found helpful in our antiracism journey. Join us to discuss these resources and kick off a 21-Day Racial Equity Habit Building Challenge at UUCWC. Please take some time in December to listen to the podcast and read the article below. Coming to this discussion forum does not obligate you to join the 21 day challenge – it just gives us a platform to introduce that opportunity and invite you into the work.
- A podcast interview with John McWhorter, author of Woke Racism:
- You don’t need to read his book, just listen to the podcast or read the transcript. This podcast challenges us to understand our motivations for doing the work of antiracism. It also sets the stage for future conversations about our expectations of each other, church leadership and the church as an institution in addressing racism.
- Ask yourself – are we being genuine and acting with humility in our antiracism work or are we ever being performative and the worst connotation of “woke”?
- A New York Times article about a school mural that caused conflict and a lose/lose situation.
- How could that have been turned into a win/win situation? Antiracism work can create potential conflict or feelings of competing oppressions.
- How do we pay attention to the intersectionality of oppressions while not losing sight of the historic uniqueness of racial inequity?