Director of Faith Engagement Position Description
Unitarian Universalist Church at Washington Crossing
The Unitarian Universalist Church at Washington Crossing is a vibrant, growing, multi-platform Unitarian Universalist congregation of approximately 350 adults and 60 children. We seek a half time Director of Religious Education to oversee and implement an engaging and theologically diverse religious education program for our children, youth and families.
The Director of Faith Engagement
The Director sets an overall vision for faith development and oversees the fulfillment of its goals through stories, curricula, service and fun. Sunday morning programming for children and youth, a biannual Coming of Age curriculum, and comprehensive sexuality education for children and youth of all ages are just some of the keystones of UUCWC’s faith engagement program.
We are excited to meet a candidate who can re-envision our current religious education programs for a post-pandemic world. We are looking for candidates who can build on what continues to serve us well, adapt or let go of what is no longer working, and implement innovations and changes that will allow us to thrive into the future. This is a 12-month position at 20 hours per week with the opportunity to grow the position if the need arises.
- Orient visitors and members to the Sunday morning faith engagement program and provide follow up when needed
- Work with the Minister to provide Story for All Ages weekly and multigenerational worship quarterly
- Support paid and volunteer teachers
- Formulate program goals and review, plan, prepare and/or adapt the children and youth curricula
- Integrate anti-racism, anti-oppression principles and practices in educational programs, social activities/events, and worship services
- Recruit, orient, and support volunteer teachers, nursery and other support staff
- Attend monthly meetings of the Family Ministry team and bi-weekly staff meetings
- Publicize and communicate the goals, programs, and activities of the faith engagement program to families, congregation and the public
- Maintain classrooms, teaching materials, supplies, and resources.
- Maintain registration and attendance records for all faith engagement classes and events in an orderly fashion.
- Ensure that all volunteers aged 18 or older who work with youth under age 18 have secured all required background clearances in accordance with UUCWC’s Safe Congregation policy.
- Create and maintain an annual budget for the faith engagement program
Continuing Education / Professional Development
- Attend regional and denominational continuing education for religious educators
- The DFE may devote a portion of time to reading materials related to religious education
Qualifications & Requirements
- Interpersonal skills to successfully manage extensive interactions with a wide range of individuals and groups. Essential qualities include kindness, patience, flexibility, an eye for detail, plus an ability to respond gracefully to changing circumstances.
- Demonstrated skill, sensitivity, and experience in interacting in a positive manner with people of various ethnic, social, cultural, economic, sexual orientation and gender identities.
- Organizational skills including attention to detail, record keeping, curriculum development and assessment, and scheduling.
- Ability to work in a self-directed fashion and as part of a team are essential.
- Ability to recruit and nurture volunteers, delegate tasks, and communicate well with spoken and written word
- Supportive of Unitarian Universalist principles and the mission of UUCWC, including knowledge and skills to help further diversity, equity, and inclusion within UUCWC’s faith engagement programs, events, and ministries.
- Training in education and experience with Unitarian Universalism is preferred, but someone with comparable experiences may be considered.
Terms and Conditions
Start Date: April 2022
Part-time: 12 month, 20 hours / week
Salary: $26,200 – $30,000
Supervisor: Senior Minister
Our ideal candidate will be creative, collaborative, and experience joy in working with children and adults in a socially-conscious and energetic congregation. UUCWC values a diverse workforce; people with disabilities, People of Color, and those who identify as L/G/B/T/Q are strongly encouraged to apply. People with backgrounds in the arts, music, peace, justice or environmentalism are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume by email to the Rev. Kim Wildszewski at email@example.com.