The Unitarian Universalist Church at Washington Crossing has had a long tradition of a vibrant and vital Music Program. Music is a key part of our rich community and provides an excellent opportunity for active involvement of our members and friends. We seek to assist our congregation in connection and worship through music and community singing using the talents that have been offered to us. Opportunities are available for all interested persons, children through adults.
HOW YOU CAN BE A PART OF THE MUSIC PROGRAM AT UUCW
Both members and friends are part of the Crossing Chorale. No audition is necessary to join. All who love to sing are welcome. The ensemble:
- Sings twice a month at both Sunday services September through June
- Rehearses Thursday from 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. and Sunday before service when singing
- Sings music ranging from Bach to Broadway and from spirituals to country and many other types of choral music.
Our Accompanist, Erin Busch, leads the UUCWC Multi-Generational Choir, which sings at special services and one service in December. The choir is open to children, their families and other church members/friends who wish to participate for fun and community building. Email notifications of rehearsals and Sunday services and announcements in Crossings II go out throughout the year.
Soloists and ensembles are encouraged to collaborate with our Director, Music Ministry, and Accompanist to plan and prepare music for Sunday worship services when our choir is not performing. Did you know we have an electric drum set? Do you play? Do you play another instrument? Violin? Flute? Piano? Brass? Please contact Caryl if you do!
Our youth are encouraged to participate actively in the musical life of our congregation. Please see Caryl if you have suggestions or ideas to share about music during our services. Each year, music is planned and presented by the Youth Group and at the Coming of Age services.
During the summer months (July and August), interested members are invited to offer their talents during worship. Musicians of all ages and levels are encouraged to work together with a staff member to participate in summer services. Pianists are needed to play hymns, as well as musicians for “special music” during the service. Summer can be a good time for to sing or play an instrument during a service for the first time.
Special Events and Concerts
UUCWC occasionally holds special concerts and performances.
Erin Busch has developed a Sunday afternoon concert series that features local, professional classical and jazz ensembles that perform throughout the year. Here is the 2017-2018 series. Concerts are at 2:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary, with a suggested donation of $15.00 per person. A portion of the proceeds (with the exception of the South Philly Big Band) will be donated to UUCWC.
UUCWC 2017 – 2018 Concert Series
- September 17: Blue Line Quartet
- October 22: Allyson Dezii, soprano
- December 10: South Philly Big Band – Featuring the Ellington/Strayhorn Nutcracker Suite along with jazz standards and holiday favorites
- February 11: Chelsea Reed and the Fair Weather Five – Swing and blues from the 20s, 30s and 40s!
- April 8: Erin Busch, cello
- June 10: Children’s Concert/Instrument Petting Zoo – A fun family event for all ages!
For more information, contact:
Caryl Tipton, Director, Music Ministry