Join us at these upcoming events!
Join the Racial Justice Initiative Steering Committee in the sanctuary on Tuesday, April 23 at 7pm. We will update you on our committee’s work to date and engage in conversation about cultural appropriation. We ask that you read Reckless Borrowing or Appropriate Cultural Sharing before the meeting. Printed copies will be available on the RJI bulletin board. Email email@example.com with questions and to let us know if you need childcare to attend.
- Internal Learning – Continue to learn what how race impacts the way we view the world and ways we as individuals can be aware of and interrupt our role in maintaining white privilege and supremacy in our society
- Internal Supports – Develop ways to support each other in racial justice work within the church community
- Internal Changes – Supporting UUCWC committees to identify ways each group supports racial justice and ways we can continue to improve and challenge white supremacy in our institutional processes.
- External Actions – Services and activism in the community to address racial inequalities. In each of these areas, we are intent to uncover ways we can live the 8th principle in our words and actions.
What is the 8th Principle?
We covenant to affirm and promote:
Journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 our UUCWC congregation voted by a supermajority to adopt the 8th Principle. This vote is an important step in our congregation’s racial justice journey which began back in the 1960’s. Where our collective journey goes from here depends on all of us living into this principle in our own way.
Racial Justice Initiative Steering Committee
The 2018-2019 Racial Justice Initiative Steering Committee members are:
Mary McKillip – Chair, Sallie Dunner, Nathalie Edmond, Mike Gianella, Regina Podhorin, Denny Rodgers, Dan Tuft, Jasmine Ueng-McHale.
- February 2019 meeting minutes
- January 2019 meeting minutes
- December 2018 meeting minutes
- November 2018 meeting minutes
- October 2018 meeting minutes
- September 2018 meeting minutes
RJI News and Events
Contact the RJI leaders at firstname.lastname@example.org.