A Spiritual Deepening Program for UUs
Wellspring is a uniquely UU program, developed by the First Unitarian Church of Rochester. It offers Unitarian Universalists a year-long (ten-month) program to deepen their spiritual lives within the UU context.
The program has five components:
- Spiritual practice – an individual commitment to a regular, intentional practice
- Spiritual direction – self-reflection under the direction of a spiritual director (spiritual guide, spiritual mentor)
- Unitarian Universalist history and theology – reading, listening, reflecting
- Small group – participation in a small community of seekers
- Faith in action – what we are called to do in the world
An orientation retreat is held in September and the facilitator(s) will run nineteen additional sessions on topics ranging from prayer to Transcendentalism to the theology of joy. The small group sessions cover spiritual practice, UU history, theological threads of our faith, and the big questions.
Participants are expected to:
- Attend small group sessions and actively engage from both the head and the heart
- Commit to a daily spiritual practice
- Meet once a month with a spiritual director to facilitate their inner spiritual life
- Complete the readings and other assignments
Invitation to a Wellspring Information Session
Wellspring Information Sessions are held in the spring. Check the church calendar for dates and times. If you think you might be interested in participating in a UUWellspring group or would just like to know more about the program, we invite you to attend one of these sessions. At all other times, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding this important program.