Standing Up for Racial Justice Initiative
UUCWC’S RACIAL JUSTICE INITIATIVE 2017 – 2018
- Overview of the Racial Justice Initiative: 2015 – 2016
- Racial Justice Initiative Continues in 2016 – 2017
- Understanding Black Live Matter – The New Civil Rights Movement
Racial Justice Newsletter – Winter 2018:
Racial Justice Newsletter – Fall 2017:
The Racial Justice Initiative (RJI) is in its third church year. This past year focused on congregants participating in Beloved Conversations curriculum, Black Lives Matter information meetings and listening circles, the formation of a People of Color circle that meets monthly, discussion and approval of a UUA recommended banner affirming our values, and creation of Facebook page called UUCWC Faith in Action where members share articles and events related to social justice issues. Events in the UUA sparked discussions around white supremacy in a number of forums inside and outside of the church.
There are quarterly RJI planning meetings. Anyone interested in being learning more or participating in activities scheduled can contact Nathalie Edmond or Dan Tuft, the co-chairs of RJI.
The 2017-2018 church year will focus on four main areas:
- Education – in the form of internal and external speakers, book club, movie discussions
- How to bridge and make connections with other anti-racism groups outside of congregation
- Service and activism – and how to participate
- Small focus group doing a self-assessment evaluating ways we support racial justice and challenge white supremacy and ways we can continue to improve
Friday, February 23: Film, pizza and discussion
Sunday, March 4: White supremacy teach-in
Friday, March 16: Film, pizza and discussion
Saturday, March 24: “Raising Anti-Racist White Children” workshop
Contact the RJI leaders at email@example.com.